Thursday, May 21, 2009

Beer endangerment

Is this true? Have you heard anything about it? Will you have to re-live days of going to Canada for beer?

Dear New York Beer Activist,

At the request of the New York State Brewers Association, we are alerting you to an issue which could dramatically affect your access to the craft beers made by small breweries all across the country.

As you have likely learned, the state of New York recently enacted a requirement that bottled products sold in your state must bear a New York-specific UPC code for bottle deposit and redemption purposes. This requirement will have severe negative impacts on many businesses, including and particularly, small breweries.


More...

2 comments:

  1. I think it is true.

    But please. Adding a new bar code is gonna break craft breweries? Craft breweries like Middle Ages, who brew with organic ingredients and pay extra for wind power, are gonna be against an expanded bottle bill? I think not. This sounds more like the penny-pinching large-production breweries lobbyists to me, but I have not looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the point...if CA decides to have a specific label too, and then Illinois. Seems like a lot of work to keep them straight. Though, I wonder how it works with wine producers and their import labels.

    We get lots of soda cans here that are very specific to university football schedules or announcing the Indiana state fair, so I'm thinking large producers have means for such specificity.

    What are the pros of the code? Do you know, is there some new sort of recycling that needs a UPC? The machines at Wegmans always took my bottles and cans and gave me my 5 cents.

    ReplyDelete