Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mr. Wizard

I know not everyone had cable growing up, but we have to talk about Mr. Wizard today.

Whenever I get on a plane, I think about a demonstration he did about why flight paths look curved on a flat map. I tried a number of the experiments he did at home -- usually involving water and me making a big mess. Like pouring water down a string into a glass on the other side of the room. Or taking two glass juice bottles filled with water -- one was hot and dyed red, the other was cold and clear -- and putting one on top of the other with a playing card in between. When you removed the card the waters mixed and you could see the currents of hot and cold. So cool.

I was so jealous of the kids on his show. I was totally smart and cool enough to do their jobs. :)

Did anyone else watch Mr. Wizard back when Nickelodeon was good?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah no cable for us but we had a book of his "experiments". I was not allowed to do the one where you turn milk into glue but the one we always tried was making a supersaturated sugar syrup and letting it cool with a string in it, it was supposed to make rock candy but never did. Ergo, I was not real impressed with Mr. Wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I never tried to make rock candy as a kid, but I had a rock polisher.

    Also, I thought that every roundish rock I came upon was a geod, so I spent hours smashing rocks with a hammer and to this day I think there are still a billion rock pieces in my parent's garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if this was Mr Wizard or just a nickelodeon recipe- but I remember trying recipes for "make your own silly putty" (didn't really work...) and make your own "green slime" (which was made often and a big hit on our street)

    ReplyDelete