Thursday, May 18, 2006

USS Oriskany



Saw this in WaPo this morning.

My favorite part:
It took just 37 minutes for the 888-foot USS Oriskany to slip beneath the waves of the Gulf of Mexico.

As hundreds of veterans looked on solemnly, the Navy blew holes in the retired aircraft carrier Wednesday, sending vessel to the bottom of the sea and creating the world's largest manmade reef.

The rusted hulk became completely submerged about 4 1/2 hours faster than predicted, after more than 500 pounds of plastic explosives went off with bright flashes of light and clouds of brown and gray smoke.

Boy did someone get those calculations wrong...

1 comment:

  1. I saw this. I am not sure how I feel about them sinking ships for "reefs". Seems like garbage disposal to me. Wouldn't it have been better to recycle that into the next warship? Especially with the way steel prices have been going...

    ReplyDelete